This book gives sound, proven advice on overcoming common challenges
of preaching. With a compelling voice, Mathewson encourages pastors and
seminary students to preach from the Gospels with confidence rather than
trepidation. For pastors or seminary students who love Jesus and want to
teach others through Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John, this book is for them.
• “Right Sizing”—Determining the optimum length of sermon series and
• “Are Jesus and Paul on the Same Page?”—How to interpret the Gospels in
relation to the rest of the New Testament
• “Background Check”—Rightly handling the Jewish and Greco-Roman context
of the Gospels
• “Conflicting Reports?”—When parallel accounts seem contradictory
• “Dealing with Darkness”—Preaching on Jesus’ confrontations with Satan
• “On Purpose”—Aligning your application with the gospel writer’s intent
• “Against Counterfeits”—Affirming the authority of the four Gospels over the
Steve Mathewson is senior pastor of the Evangelical Free Church of Libertyville, Illinois, and teaches preaching for the doctoral program at Denver Seminary, the Master of Divinity program at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, and the undergraduates at Moody Bible Institute. He is author of The Art of Preaching Old Testament Narrative.