This new edition of a popular evangelical survey of the Old Testament has been thoroughly updated and features a beautiful new interior design. It is lavishly illustrated with four-color images, maps, and charts and retains the pedagogical features that have made the book so popular:
· chapter outlines, objectives, and summaries
· study questions
· sidebars featuring primary source material, ethical and theological issues, and contemporary applications
· lists of key terms, people, and places
· further reading recommendations
· endnotes and indexes
This book is accompanied by free online resources. Click the red eSources banner above for more information.
About the Series
Each volume in the Encountering Biblical Studies series is designed for classroom use and includes a number of helpful features, including a bibliography, key terms, chapter objectives, chapter outlines, sidebars, and illustrations.
Preface to the Third Edition
Preface to the Second Edition
To the Professor
To the Student
1. What Is the Old Testament and Why Study It?
2. Where and When Did the Events of the Old Testament Take Place?
Part 1: Encountering the Pentateuch
3. Introduction to the Pentateuch: The Birth of God's People
4. Genesis 1-11: The Prelude to Israel
5. Genesis 12-50: The Patriarchs: Ancestors of Israel's Faith
6. Exodus: A Miraculous Escape
7. Leviticus: Instructions for Holy Living
8. Numbers: Failure in the Desert
9. Deuteronomy: Restoring the Covenant
Part 2: Encountering the Historical Books
10. Introduction to the Historical Books: The History of Israel's Nationhood
11. Joshua: Conquest and Division
12. Judges and Ruth: Israel's Moral Crisis
13. First Samuel: God Grants a King
14. Second Samuel: David's Reign
15. First Kings: The Glory of Solomon and the Beginning of the End
16. Second Kings: The End of National Israel
17. First and Second Chronicles: A Look Back
18. Ezra, Nehemiah, and Esther: A Time to Rebuild
Part 3: Encountering the Poetical Books
19. Introduction to the Poetical Books: The Literature of God's People
20. Job: One Man's Search for Justice
21. Psalms: The Songbook of Ancient Israel
22. Proverbs: Advice on Living in God's World
23. Ecclesiastes and Song of Songs: Israelite Faith in Everyday Life
Part 4: Encountering the Prophets
24. Introduction to the Prophets: Voices of God's Servants
25. Isaiah 1-39: Prophet of Judah's Royal Court
26. Isaiah 40-66: Great Days Are Coming!
27. Jeremiah 1-20: Struggling with God's Call
28. Jeremiah 21-52 and Lamentations: Dealing with Disaster
29. Ezekiel 1-24: Rough Days Are Coming!
30. Ezekiel 25-48: God Is Planning an Exciting Future!
31. Daniel: The Kingdom of God--Now and Forever
32. Hosea, Joel, and Amos: A Call for Repentance and a Promise for Blessing
33. Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, and Zephaniah: God's Plan for the Nations
34. Haggai, Zechariah, and Malachi: Rebuilding a People
Epilogue: A Final Word